- Ph.D candidate – History and Political Cultures (Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais – Brazil): 2019-current.
- Master’s degree in History (Universidade de São Paulo – Brazil): 2015-2017.
- Bachelor’s degree in History (Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais – Brazil): 2009-2013.
- History tutor: Colégio e Pré-vestibular Bernoulli (high school) – Belo Horizonte, Brazil (2010-2011 – 2012-2015).
- Adjunct professor in the History Program at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (August-December 2017; August-December 2019).
- History teacher: Colégio e Pré-Vestibular Losango (high school) – Lavras, Brazil (February 2018-March 2019).
- Lecturer in the Comparative Humanities program at Habib University (August 2020-current).
- Anti-Semitic Ideas in Brazil in the Interwar Period
- Fascist Ideas and Practices in the Interwar Period: Europe and South America
- The Foreign Policy of the Brazilian Military Regime
- Latin American History
- Pakistan and Modern South Asia
- What is Modernity
- Conceptual Genealogies: the Master-Slave Dialectics (co-taught course)
- The Global Post-Colony
- Global Histories: Military Regimes in South Asia and South America
- War, Politics, and Power (Independent Study)
- World Historical Figures: Toussaint Louverture and Simón Bolívar
- Brazilian Independence
Scholarships and grants
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP) master scholarship (2015-2016).
- Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP) grant to research at the Institute of Contemporary History in Munich (Institut für Zeitgeschichte) (2016-2017).
- Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES) Ph.D scholarship at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (2019-2020).
Biography and research interests
Marcelo Alves De Paula Lima holds a bachelor’s degree in History from Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais (UFMG). He graduated in 2013 after writing and presenting a thesis about integralismo, a Brazilian fascist movement from the 1930s. As an undergraduate, he spent one semester at the University of Augsburg as an exchange student, where he took courses in German modern history.
In 2017, he completed his masters in History at Universidade de São Paulo (USP), having written a dissertation that compared Brazilian integralismo with German national-socialism. During his masters, Marcelo was awarded with a scholarship from Fundação de Amparo à Pesquisa do Estado de São Paulo (FAPESP). He was also awarded with a FAPESP grant to do a five-month research at Institut für Zeitgeschichte in Munich about the writings of Nazi ideologue Gottfried Feder.
After completing his masters degree, Marcelo had a one semester experience as an adjunct professor at the History Program of Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais, where he taught two courses: one on anti-Semitic ideas in Brazil, and the other on fascist ideas and movements in South America and Europe in the interwar period. After that, he had a one-year experience teaching World History at high school level.
Marcelo is currently writing his Ph.D dissertation in History and Political Cultures at Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais. His research analyzes how anti-communism influenced the relations between the Brazilian military regime and the government of Chiang Kai-shek in the Republic of China from 1964 to 1974. In his first year as a Ph.D candidate, Marcelo taught a course about the foreign policy of the Brazilian military regime.
Marcelo’s research interests include fascism, Nazism, fascist ideas in interwar Brazil, Brazilian authoritarian nationalism, Brazilian foreign policy, history of international relations, right wing movements in Brazil, Brazilian military regime, military regimes in Latin America and Asia under a comparative approach, and post-colonial history. He was a member of four undergraduate thesis defense committees, both in History and International Relations.
At Habib University, Marcelo teaches two Liberal Core courses – “What is Modernity” and “Pakistan and Modern South Asia”, besides teaching several program core courses and electives on world history and Latin American history.
Articles published in peer-reviewed journals
LIMA, MARCELO ALVES DE PAULA. “Brazilian Foreign Policy from Lisbon to Bandung”. CONTEXTO INTERNACIONAL (ON-LINE), v. 44, p. 1-23, 2022. https://www.scielo.br/j/cint/a/V9Rtwccssg6fxcbBggjfmPs/?lang=en
LIMA, M. A. P.. “Brazil and the Afro-Asian World: a Decolonial Approach”. Brasiliana: Journal for Bazilian Studies, v. 11, p. 9-31, 2022. https://tidsskrift.dk/bras/article/view/132609
LIMA, M. A. P.. History and Engagement in the Work of Bezerra de Menezes. CONTEXTO INTERNACIONAL (PUCRJ. IMPRESSO), v. 42, p. 103-124, 2020. http://dx.doi.org/10.1590/s0102-8529.2019420100005
LIMA, M. A. P.. Tenório de Albuquerque: um brasileiro no Terceiro Reich (1936-1937). IBEROAMERICANA (MADRID), v. 19, p. 221-243, 2019. https://tidsskrift.dk/dialogos/article/view/112910
LIMA, M. A. P.. Tenório de Albuquerque: um brasileiro no Terceiro Reich (1936-1937). IBEROAMERICANA (MADRID), v. 19, p. 221-243, 2019. http://dx.doi.org/10.18441/ibam.19.2019.71.221-243
LIMA, M. A. P.. Ecos do golpe de 1964 na Ásia. E-Hum: Revista Científica do Departamento de Ciências Humanas, Letras e Artes do UNI-BH, v. 12, p. 66-78, 2019. https://revistas.unibh.br/dchla/article/view/2768/pdf
LIMA, M. A. P.. Triste Fim de Tenório d’Albuquerque: o Pensamento de um ex-Integralista no Estado Novo. Diálogos Latinoamericanos, v. 1, p. 177-194, 2016. https://tidsskrift.dk/dialogos/article/view/112910
LIMA, M. A. P.. Ecos da Giovinezza: leituras integralistas da “primavera fascista”. TEMPORALIDADES, v. 6, p. 140-167, 2014. https://periodicos.ufmg.br/index.php/temporalidades/article/view/5547
LIMA, M. A. P.. Da “servidão dos juros” à “colônia de banqueiros”: uma análise dos escritos de Gottfried Feder e Gustavo Barroso. TEMPORALIDADES, v. 5, p. 202-225, 2013. https://periodicos.ufmg.br/index.php/temporalidades/article/view/5535
LIMA, M. A. P.. A vingança do centauro: imperialismo e anti-imperialismo no pensamento integralista de Gustavo Barroso. TEMPOS HISTÓRICOS (EDUNIOESTE), v. 18, p. 286-319, 2014. http://e-revista.unioeste.br/index.php/temposhistoricos/article/view/11109
LIMA, M. A. P.. O integralismo de Gustavo Barroso à luz do modernismo reacionário alemão. Caderno Universitário de História (UFRJ), v. 1, p. 11-18, 2013.O_integralismo_de_Gustavo_Barroso_%C3%A0_luz_do_modernismo_reacion%C3%A1rio_alem%C3%A3o
LIMA, M. A. P.. O “fascismo cordial” de Gustavo Barroso. REVISTA EMBORNAL, v. IV, p. 57-82, 2013. https://revistas.uece.br/index.php/embornal/article/view/3228/2725
Book chapters published
LIMA, M. A. P.. Nacionalismo e autoritarismo no pensamento de Geraldo Rocha (1935). In: Cícero João da Costa Filho. (Org.). Visões autoritárias: reflexões sobre o pensamento conservador no Brasil no século XX. 1ed. São Paulo: Todas as Musas, 2019, v. 1, p. 75-90. ISBN: 9788595830530
LIMA, M. A. P.. O Brasil e o Império Britânico na visão de um ex-integralista: o pensamento de Tenório d’Albuquerque (1940-1941). Cleber Araújo Cabral, Raul Amaro de Oliveira Lanari, Thiago Lenine Tito Tolentino, Valdeci da Silva Cunha. Cultura Intelectual em Perspectiva: linguagens, instituições e trajetórias. Belo Horizonte: Letramento, 2020. ISBN: 6586025427