What is the NSO?
The New Student Orientation program is designed to facilitate new students and their respective families in understanding the academic programs, culture, norms, policies, and expectations of Habib University. This week long event also provides an opportunity for new students and their families to ask questions, meet with the HU community, and familiarize themselves with Habib University.
Objectives of the NSO
- Building a sense of community among the incoming class and connect them to faculty, staff, and other students.
- Creating an atmosphere that minimizes anxiety, promotes positive attitudes, and stimulates an excitement for learning.
- Introducing new students to student support services which will help them in achieving their educational and personal goals (ex. library, information technology, academic and student life services).
- Providing a framework for four years of success by communicating expectations, norms, key policies, processes and standards.
- Familiarizing students with the campus environment and physical facilities.
- Facilitating initial academic advisement, course selection, and registration process.
- Providing the families of new students with comprehensive information about the academic and student service resources and programs.
- Providing employment, leadership, and learning opportunities to current students as leaders, through selection, training, and supervision.
Orientation Leaders (OLs) are students selected to assist the Office of Academic Performance and the Student Life department with conducting the New Student Orientation by playing a leadership role for various activities in August 2024. They may be the first students with whom new students will interact and are expected to serve as HU representatives.
OLs Roles and Responsibilities
Key roles and responsibilities for the OLs include, but are not limited to the following:
- Attending and participating in all orientation and training sessions organized for the OLs in July and August 2024.
- Assisting the Office of Academic Performance and Office of Student Life in planning and conducting the New Student Orientation program in August.
- Preparing for and conducting sessions and activities as per the NSO plan
- Developing orientation packs
- Communicating with new students and their parents through phone calls, emails and posts.
- Arranging rooms and other facilities for orientation sessions
- Curating posters, videos, Facebook posts and blogs for the NSO
- Serving as HU representatives, and as a general information and referral source for new students and families regarding HU.
- Supervising and leading a group of new students during their transition into the university.
- Working as a collegial team member and leader in small and large group situations.
- Maintaining a friendly, caring and positive attitude that creates an inclusive environment throughout the planning and execution of the NSO.
- Assisting new students with academic advising and course registration.
In order to be eligible for selection as an Orientation Leader, the candidate must fulfill the following Enrolment and Academic Eligibility Criteria:
- Is a full time regular student
- Is enrolled in Spring 2024 and plans to enrol in Fall 2024
- Will be enrolled in any semester from semester 2 to semester 7
- Has a cumulative GPA of 2.75 or above. First year students can apply if they have cleared all of their Semester 1 courses. Final selection of OLS’s may be based on Spring 2024 results
- Must be at good academic standing, as per the university academic standing policy
The candidate must also demonstrate the following personal qualities
- Must be in the good conduct standing list as per the University policy
- Possess good communication and presentation skills. Must have a passion for sharing experiences and an eagerness to learn new things
- Is interested in nurturing leadership qualities
- Is equipped with a strong work ethic
- Harnesses a positive attitude, consistent energy, and is flexible
The candidate must understand the following time commitment requirements:
- Is available to attend training and planning sessions for orientation from 10th to 13th July, 2024, 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Is willing to work from 9:00 to 6:00, from 17th July to 8th August, 2024 and if needed for extended hours too till the end of orientation.
Candidates applying for selection as OLs must keep in mind the following time commitment requirements:
- OLs are required to attend training and planning sessions for orientation from July 10th, 2024 onwards from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- OLs should be willing to work from 9:00 to 6:00, and if needed for extended hours too from July 17th, 2024 till the end of orientation for preparing and executing the NSO 2024.
|OL Application Opens||10th January, 2024|
|OL 2024 Information Session||16th January, 2024|
|OL Application Deadline||1st February, 2024|
|OL Selection Process||9th March, and 22nd-24th March, 2024|
|Final List of Selected OLs||15th April, 2024|
|OL Training||10th – 13th July, 2024|
|NSO Prep||17th July – 8th August, 2024|
|NSO 2024||9th – 16th August, 2024|
Benefits of Working as OLs
Working as OLs will help students in developing multiple skills; it will also prove to be valuable work experience to put on a resume and/or graduate school applications. Below are some of the skills students may gain during their time as an OL:
- Leadership experience
- Planning and management skills
- Learning to manage group settings and activities
- Improving public speaking and presentation skills
- Gaining exceptional customer service experience
- Learning crisis and conflict management skills
- Enhancing their ability to multitask
- Developing good time management skills
- Working with a variety of departments across campus
Rewards and Compensation
- All OLs will get a certificate for their services
- OLs will receive an honorarium for their participation in the entire NSO training, planning, and execution. Details to follow
- Transport may be arranged for those who will register for it
How to Apply
The Orientation Leadership Application form will be available shortly. Please keep checking this page for updates.