Assistant Professor of Practice
School of Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences
Zahra Malkani is an artist and a lecturer in Communication and Design at Habib University. Her research-based art practice spans multiple media and explores the politics of development and infrastructure in the city. She has previously taught at the Indus Valley School of Art and Architecture and is a co-founder of the Karachi LaJamia, an experimental pedagogical project seeking to politicise art education and explore new radical pedagogies and art practices. Exploring and reflecting collaboratively upon the processes and politics of art and research is central to her practice. Zahra has exhibited her work across Pakistan and internationally.
- M.A. in Contemporary Art Theory, Goldsmiths, University of London, London, UK. 2012-2013
- B.A. in Studio Art, Bard College, Annandale-on-Hudson, NY. 2005-2009
- After the Wildly Improbable, HKW, Berlin, Germany. 2017
- We ate the birds, Koel Art Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan. 2017
- Taqseem, Koel Art Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan. 2017.
- Urbanities, Al Hamra Art Gallery, Lahore, Pakistan. 2016.
- How We Mark The Land, Gandhara Art Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan. 2016.
- Exhausted Geographies, VM Art Gallery, Karachi, Pakistan. 2015.
Residencies & Awards
- Graham Foundation for Advanced Studies in the Fine Arts, Exhibition Grant. Chicago, USA. 2017-18.
- VASL Artists Collective, Urbanities Artist in Residence, Karachi, Pakistan. 2016.