- Ph.D. Computer Science, University of Sheffield, Sheffield, United Kingdom (2013-2020),
- M.S. Computer Science (Scholarship), King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (1998-2000),
- B.E. Electrical Engineering, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan (1993-1998)
- Assistant Professor, Computer Science, Habib University, Karachi, Pakistan,
- Lecturer, Computer Science, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia,
- Research Assistant, Computer Science, King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
- Preparatory Computer Science,
- Introduction to Computing,
- Introduction to Programming Using C,
- Introduction to Computer Science,
- Foundations of Computer Science,
- Discrete Structures,
- Data Structures and Algorithms,
- Fundamentals of Programming Languages,
- Compiler Construction,
- Operating Systems,
- Internet Services and Web Authoring.
- Plagiarism Detection,
- Natural Language Processing,
- Educational Research,
- Computer Games.
Dr. Faisal Alvi holds a PhD in Computer Science from the University of Sheffield, United Kingdom, Master’s Degree in Computer Science from the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Saudi Arabia and a Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering from the NED University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan. During PhD studies, Dr. Faisal has conducted research on Plagiarism Detection using Natural Language Processing Techniques resulting in publications in workshops, high impact conferences and journals. In addition, Dr. Faisal has also worked on research projects sponsored by the Deanship of Scientific Research (DSR) at King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals as well as by the National Science Technology and Innovation Plan (NSTIP), Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Faisal has more than two decades of teaching experience at the undergraduate level in Computer Science and has taught several courses at the introductory, sophomore, junior and senior levels at the ICS Department, KFUPM, Saudi Arabia. Dr. Faisal has also worked as a co-investigator in academic projects for the development of multimedia versions of undergraduate courses in Algorithm Design and Discrete Mathematics, sponsored by the Deanship of Academic Development at KFUPM, Saudi Arabia. In addition, Dr. Faisal has supervised senior design projects with a prize-winning project at the IEEE student competition at the university level. With respect to program accreditation, Dr. Faisal has actively worked in faculty committees towards accreditation of undergraduate program in Computer Science by the Computer Science Accreditation Board (CSAB) (USA) at the King Fahd University of Petroleum and Minerals, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia.
Dr. Faisal is a member of the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM) and a member of the Pakistan Engineering Council (PEC).
Selected Awards and Accomplishments
- Distinguished Performance Evaluation (A+) at the Information and Computer Science Department, KFUPM, for several terms (2000-2001, 2004-9, 2011-2021).
- Full Scholarship for Master’s Degree Studies at KFUPM, Dhahran, Saudi Arabia (1998-2000).
- Bronze Medal at BE (Electrical Engineering) from the NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan (1998).
- Faisal Alvi, Hassan Algafri, Naif Alqahtani. Style Change Detection Using Discourse Markers Notebook for PAN at CLEF (2022).
- Faisal Alvi, Mark Stevenson, and Paul Clough. Paraphrase Type Identification for Plagiarism Detection using Contexts and Word Embeddings. International Journal of Educational Technology in Higher Education 18.1 (2021): 1-25.
- Faisal Alvi. Monolingual Plagiarism Detection and Paraphrase Type Identification. Doctoral Dissertation. University of Sheffield, 2020.
- Faisal Alvi, Mark Stevenson, and Paul Clough. Plagiarism Detection in Texts obfuscated with Homoglyphs. European Conference on Information Retrieval (ECIR 2017). Springer, 2017.
- El-Sayed El-Alfy, Radwan Abdel-Aal, Wasfi Al-Khatib, Faisal Alvi. Boosting Paraphrase Detection through Textual Similarity Metrics with Abductive Networks. Applied Soft Computing 26 (2015): 444-453.
- Faisal Alvi, Mark Stevenson, and Paul D. Clough. Hashing and Merging Heuristics for Text Reuse Detection. Notebook for PAN at CLEF (2014).
- Faisal Alvi, Mark Stevenson, and Paul Clough. The Short Stories Corpus. Notebook for PAN at CLEF (2015).
- Faisal Alvi, El-Sayed M. El-Alfy, Wasfi G. Al-Khatib, Radwan E. Abdel-Aal, Analysis and Extraction of Sentence-Level Paraphrase Sub-Corpus in CS Education, ACM Conference on Information Technology Education (ACM SIGITE 2012), October 2012.
- Majed Alhajry, Faisal Alvi and Moataz Ahmed: TD() and Q-Learning based Ludo Players, IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence and Games (CIG 2012), Sep 2012.
- Faisal Alvi and Moataz Ahmed, Complexity analysis and playing strategies for Ludo and its variant race games, IEEE Conference on Computational Intelligence and Games (CIG 2011) Sept 2011, pp 134-141.
- Ali Jaoua, Faisal Alvi, Samir Elloumi, Sadok Ben Yahia: Galois Connection in Fuzzy Binary Relations, Applications for Discovering Association Rules and Decision Making. Relational Methods in Computer Science Conf. (RelMiCS 5), Jan 2000, pp 141-149
- Faisal Alvi. Generalization of Formal Concept Analysis to Fuzzy Contexts, Master’s Thesis, July 2000.