Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering
Dhanani School of Science & Engineering
Dr. Abrar wants to promote positive results in the lives of his students with regard to school achievements, positive attitude towards the school, interest in learning, embracing challenges, achieving successes, and other desirable outcomes.
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, The University of Liverpool, Liverpool, UK.
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, King Fahd University, Dhahran, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia.
- B.S. in Electrical Engineering, NED University of Engineering and Technology, Karachi, Pakistan.
- Signal Processing
- Adaptive Filtering
- Channel Equalization
- Carrier Synchronization
- Target Tracking
- Detection and Estimation
- Sparse Filtering
- Bayesian Estimation
- Stochastic Integration Filtering
- Neural Networks
- Machine Learning
Awards and Honors
- IEEE Heinrich Hertz Award for the Best Communications Letters for the year 2012
- Exemplary Reviewer Certificate from IEEE Communications Society for the year 2015
- Overseas Research Studentship Scholarship for Ph.D. Studies, UoL, 2007-2010, UK
- Research Assistantship Scholarship for M.S. Studies, KFUPM, 1998-2000, KSA
- HEC-Approved Ph.D. supervisor
- S.S. Khalid and S. Abrar, A low-complexity interacting multiple model filter for maneuvering target tracking. AEU-International Journal of Electronics and Communications, 2017, vol. 73, pp. 157-164
- S Abrar, A Zerguine, AK Nandi, Blind adaptive carrier phase recovery for QAM systems, Digital Signal Processing. vol. 49, p. 65-85, February 2016.
- S Abrar, A Zerguine, AK Nandi, Hardware-efficient phase noise and frequency offset mitigation in CO-QAM systems, Electronics Letters, vol. 52, no. 2, pp. 131-133, 2016.
- S Abrar, Sign algorithm for blind channel equalization, Electronics Letters, vol. 52, no. 7, pp. 527-528, 2016.
- AW Azim, S Abrar, A Zerguine, AK Nandi, Performance analysis of a family of adaptive blind equalization algorithms for QAM, Digital Signal Processing. vol. 48, p. 163-177, Jan. 2016.
- AW Azim, S Abrar, A Zerguine, AK Nandi, Steady-state performance of multimodulus blind equalizers, Signal Processing, vol. 108, p. 509-520, March 2015.
- SS Khalid and S Abrar, Blind adaptive algorithm for sparse channel equalization using projections onto Lp ball, IET Electronics Letters, vol. 51, no. 18, pp. 1422-1424, 2015.
- A Ali, S Abrar, A Zerguine, AK Nandi, Newton-like minimum entropy equalization algorithm for APSK systems, Signal Processing, vol. 101, p. 74-86, August 2014.
- S Abrar, A Ali, A Zerguine, and AK Nandi, Tracking Performance of Two Constant Modulus Equalizers, IEEE Communications Letters, vol.17, no.5, p. 830-833, May 2013.
- AW Azim, SS Khalid and S Abrar, Non-Data-Aided SNR Estimation Method for APSK Exploiting Rank Discrimination Test, Electronics Letters, vol. 48, no. 14, p. 837-839, 2012.
- S Abrar and AK Nandi, An Adaptive Constant Modulus Blind Equalization Algorithm and its Stochastic Stability Analysis, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 17, no. 1, p. 55-58, 2010.
- S Abrar and AK Nandi, Blind Equalization of Square-QAM signals: A Multimodulus Approach, IEEE Transactions on Communications, vol. 58, no. 6, p. 1674-1685, 2010.
- S Abrar and AK Nandi, Adaptive Solution for Blind Equalization and Carrier-Phase Recovery of Square-QAM, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 17, no. 9, p. 791-794, 2010.
- S Abrar and AK Nandi, Adaptive Minimum Entropy Equalization Algorithm, IEEE Communications Letters, vol. 14, no. 10, p. 966-968, 2010.
- S Abrar and AK Nandi, Independent Component Analysis: Jacobi-Like Diagonalization of Optimized Composite-Order Cumulants, Proceedings of the Royal Society A, Mathematical, Physical & Engg. Sciences, vol. 465, no. 2105, p. 1393-1411, 2009.
- S Abrar and SI Shah, New Multimodulus Blind Equalization Algorithm With Relaxation, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 13, no. 7, p. 425-428, 2006.
- S Abrar and IM Qureshi, Blind Equalization of Cross-QAM Signals, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 13, no. 12, pp. 745-748, 2006.
- S Abrar, A Zerguine and M Deriche, Soft Constraint Satisfaction Multimodulus Blind Equalization Algorithms, IEEE Signal Processing Letters, vol. 12, no. 9, p. 637-640, 2005.
- S Abrar and RA Axford, Sliced Multimodulus Blind Equalization Algorithm, ETRI Journal, vol. 27, no. 3, p. 257-266, 2005.
- S Abrar, A Zerguine and M Bettayeb, Recursive Least-Squares Back-Propagation Algorithm for Stop-and-Go Decision-Directed Blind Equalization, IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, vol. 13, no. 6, p. 1472-1481, 2002.