ASSOCIATE DEAN, UNDERGRADUATE EDUCATION & ACCREDITATION.
Associate Professor, Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE).
- Ph.D. in Electrical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin – 2006.
- M.S. in Electrical Engineering, University of Southern California – 2002.
- M.S. in Strategic Studies, Air War College – National Defense University – 2013.
- M.S. in War Studies, Air War College – National Defense University – 2009.
- M.B.A. in Project Management, Preston University – 1997 .
- B.S. in Avionics Engineering, College of Aeronautical Engineering – 1991.
Selected Awards & Honors
- IEEE Senior Member, elevated in November, 2019. IEEE Senior membership is awarded to members who have shown significant performance in their careers.
- Fellowship of the Royal Aeronautical Society (FRAeS) award in 2017 for outstanding contributions in the profession of aeronautics (UK).
- Professional Excellence Badge for 2015, awarded by Pakistan Air Force, given to exceptional engineers for demonstrating sustained excellence (Pakistan).
- Chief of Air Staff Commendation Certificate 2014, awarded by Pakistan Air Force for contribution in R&D in area of Flight Simulations (Pakistan).
- Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military) for 2010 for significant contribution in design and implementation of Next Generation Network (NGN) project for Pakistan Air Force (Pakistan).
- Wireless Networks Communications Group (WNCG) Student Leadership award for the year 2005-2006 (USA).
- David Bruton, Jr. Fellowship, 2004-2005 (USA).
- Texas Telecommunications Consortium (TxTec) Fellowship, 2003-2004 (USA).
- Teachers Researchers Overseas Scholars (TROSS) PhD Fellowships 2001, awarded by the Pakistan Government for PhD program to engineers (Pakistan).
- Chief of Air Staff Commendation Certificate 2001, awarded by Pakistan Air Force to outstanding Engineers for their technical contribution towards service (Pakistan).
Dr. Hasan served in the engineering branch of Pakistan Air Force (PAF) as an Aeronautical Engineer (specialization in Avionics). He graduated with a bachelor’s degree from College of Aeronautical Engineering (CAE) at PAF Academy Risalpur in May’ 91 and an M.S. in Electrical and Computer Engineering from University of Southern California in Aug’ 02. His Ph.D. is in wireless communications from University of Texas at Austin under Professor Jeffrey G. Andrews. He has also completed Master’s in War studies and Strategic studies from PAF Air War College, Karachi.
After a brief tenure as a lecturer at UT Austin, Dr. Hasan has been teaching graduate courses at Air University as a visiting faculty. His exposure to academia and industry allows students to undertake fundamental research and explore issues that are also important to Pakistan’s industry. He was awarded with Tamgha-i-Imtiaz (Military) for the design and implementation of PAF Next Generation Networks. Dr. Hasan played a key role in the establishment of an Aviation Design Institute (AvDI) at Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), Kamra for design and development of future aerial platforms.
Dr. Hasan’s research is mainly focused on interference suppression techniques in wireless ad-hoc networks. His interest is in analyzing the impact of physical layer design, especially spread spectrum, on capacity of ad-hoc networks as well as its effect on MAC design. He has been using stochastic geometry tools to show that spread spectrum physical layer has a number of advantages over narrowband systems in wireless communication networks.
Dr. Hasan remained associated with Habib University since the initial design phase of EE curriculum before finally joining University on 01 Jan’ 18 as an Associate Professor and Program Director (EE).
- The Art of Writing a Thesis – a case study” invited talk at PAF Air War College Institute – Karachi, August 2022.
- “Stochastic Geometry for Modeling nodes in M2M Communications” invited speaker at International Conference on Frontiers of Information Technology – Pakistan, Dec – 2019.
- “Modeling Ad Hoc Network Nodes Using Stochastic Geometry” keynote address at the IEEE International Conference on Latest trends in Electrical Engineering & Computing Technologies Intellect, Pakistan – November, 2019.
- “The Art of Writing a Thesis – A Case Study” Guest speaker at PAF Air War College, Karachi – Pakistan, 2018.
- “Way Forward for Public – Private Industry Partnership for Promoting Aviation Industry Potential in Pakistan” Invited speaker at IDEAS 2016 seminar held at Karachi – Pakistan, 2016.
- “Evolution of Aircraft Manufacturing in Pakistan” Invited speaker at the Seminar held to celebrate 150th year of Royal Aeronautical Society held at Air War College – Karachi – Pakistan, 2016.
- “Harmonization of R&D in the Aviation Industry of Pakistan” Guest speaker at Seminar held at Air Headquarters, Pakistan Air Force – Islamabad – Pakistan, 2015.
- “The Art of Writing a Thesis – A Case Study” Guest speaker at PAF Air War College, Karachi – Pakistan, 2015.
- “Understanding Ad Hoc Networks using Stochastic Geometry Tools” Keynote speaker at 1st National C & IT Symposium, Rawalpindi – Pakistan, 2012.
- “Stochastic Geometry of Thinned Nodes in Ad Hoc Networks” invited talk at IBCAST Conference, Islamabad – Pakistan, 2011.
- “Introduction and Research issues at lower layers in Ad hoc Networks” invited talk at CASE Comm & Networks Group CCNG at CASE, Islamabad – Pakistan, 2010.
- “An Overview on Capacity of Ad hoc Networks: Challenges and Opportunities” at NUST (MCS Campus), Rawalpindi – Pakistan, 2010.
- “Interference Management Techniques in Wireless Networks” at RFM Dallas, TX USA, 2006
- “Interference Cancellation Techniques in DS-CDMA Cellular Systems” at National Instruments R & D Dept, Austin, TX – USA, 2004.
Publications – Journals
- Adnan Fazil, A. Hasan, Bahman R. Alyaei, Khurram Khan and Muhammad Zakwan, “A proactive Medium Access Control (MAC) for finite-sized machine-to-machine (M2M) communication networks”. Elsevier Journal of Computers and Electrical Engineering, vol. 102, Article 108243, Sep, 22.
- J. Mian, A. Hasan and M. Danish, “Joint power and spectrum allocation for D2D communication overlaying cellular networks”, Elsevier Journal of Computer Networks, Vol. 184 Jan, 21.
- Adnan Fazil, A. Hasan, I. M. Qureshi and Qaiser Shafi, “A Proactive Channel access Scheme for Wireless Ad hoc Networks” Journal of IET Comm. Vol. 13, (13), pp 1893 – 1901, Aug, 19.
- Adnan Fazil, A. Hasan, I. M. Qureshi, “An Adaptive Scheduling Scheme for inhomogeneous Distributed Wireless Ad Hoc Networks”. Turk J Elec Eng & Comp Sci., Vol. 27, pp 2496-2510, Jul, 19.
- Ajmal, Samra Jabeen, A. Rasheed and A. Hasan, “An Intelligent Hybrid Spread Spectrum MAC for Interference Management in Mobile Ad Hoc Networks” Elsevier Journal of Computer Comm., Vol 72, pp 116-129, Dec, 15.
- A. Hasan and Ahsan Ali, “Guard Zone-based Scheduling in Ad hoc Networks”, Elsevier Journal of Computer Comm., Vol.: 56, pp.: 89-97, Feb, 15.
- Ajmal, A. Rasheed, A. Qayyum, A. Hasan, “Classification of VANET MAC, Routing and Approaches- A Detailed Survey’’ in J. of Univ. Comp. Science, Vol. 20, No. 4, Apr, 14.
- A. Hasan and J. G. Andrews, “The Guard Zone in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks”, in IEEE Trans. on Wireless Communications, Mar, 07.
- J. G. Andrews and A. Hasan, “Old Standard, New Use [CDMA moves on]”, invited paper, IEE Communications Engineer, Feb, 04.
Publications – Conference Papers
- Ajmal, S. Adnan, A. Rasheed and A. Hasan, “An Intelligent Hybrid Spread Spectrum MAC Protocol for Increasing the Transmission Capacity of Wireless Ad-hoc Networks’’ in Proc. IEEE ATNAC, Nov. 2014.
- Adnan Fazil and A. Hasan, “Spatial Packing of Nodes in a Wireless Ad-Hoc Network With Long and Short Hops’’, in Proc. IEEE IBCAST, Jan. 2014.
- Ahsan Ali and A. Hasan, “Stochastic Geometry of Thinned Nodes in Ad Hoc Networks- PART – II”, in Proc. IEEE IBCAST, Jan. 2012.
- Akhtar, I. Lone, A. Hasan, A. Masood, “A Model for Standardization of MANET Simulation Scenarios: The Four Quadrants”, in Proc. GCSE, Dec. 2011.
- Zahid Ali and A. Hasan, “Stochastic Geometry of Thinned Nodes in Ad Hoc Networks – Part – I”, in Proc. IEEE IBCAST, Jan. 2011.
- A. Hasan, Muhammad Ali and Zahid Ali, “Modeling Aggregate Interference in Ad Hoc Networks”, invited paper in Proc. IEEE IBCAST, Jan. 2010.
- A. Hasan, “Increasing Concurrent Transmissions in CDMA Ad hoc Networks”, in Proc. IEEE IBCAST, Jan. 2009.
- A. Hasan and J. G. Andrews, “Interference Cancellation vs. Interference Suppression in Ad Hoc Networks”, in Proc. IEEE MILCOM, Nov. 2008.
- Khan M. A and A. Hasan “Improved Nonce Construction for AES CCMP to Evade Initial Counter Prediction”, in Ninth ACIS International Conf. on Software Engineering, SNPD2008, Aug, 2008.
- Khan M. A and A. Hasan “Pseudo Random Number Based Authentication To Counter Denial of Service Attacks on 802.11”, in Fifth IEEE International Conference, WOCN, May 2008.
- A. Hasan and J. G. Andrews, “Scheduling Using Near-optimal Guard Zones for CDMA Ad Hoc Networks”, in ICC, Jul. 2006.
- Yang, A. Hasan, G. de Veciana and J. G. Andrews, “MAC Protocols for Spread Spectrum Ad Hoc Networks: Spatial Thinning vs. Packing”, in Proc. CISS, Mar. 2005.
- A. Hasan and J. G. Andrews, “The Critical Radius in CDMA Ad hoc Networks”, in Proc. IEEE Globecom, Dec. 2004.
- Samant and A. Hasan, “Rapid Prototyping and Test Platform for Multi-Carrier OFDM”, in Proc. WNCG Symposium, Oct. 2004.
- A. Hasan and J. G. Andrews, “Cancellation Error Statistics in a Power-Controlled CDMA System using Successive Interference Cancellation”, in Proc. IEEE ISSSTA, Aug. 2004.
- A. Hasan, K. Yang and J. G. Andrews, “Clustered CDMA Ad Hoc Networks without Closed-Loop Power Control”, in Proc. IEEE MILCOM, Oct. 2003.
- A. Hasan and J. G. Andrews, “Cancellation Error Statistics in a CDMA System using Successive Interference Cancellation”, in Proc. Allerton, Oct. 2003.