Dhanani School of Science & Engineering
Dr. Saleem has been passionate about Computer Science since his undergraduate years. He is fascinated by the field of computer graphics, specifically geometric modeling and shape processing. Dr. Saleem focuses on the development of new processing and management tools that may potentially be useful in the context of digital shape repositories. Specifically, his research improves on learning-based surface reconstruction from scattered data, and he has developed several techniques for presenting a given 3D shape by a series of 2D views.
This has led to a new approach for measuring shape complexity in terms of viewing similarity between different perspectives. Dr. Saleem’s research addresses the highly relevant topic of building and querying 3D shape repositories. The results of his research have led to several peer-reviewed publications in leading international journals.
- Ph.D. in Computer Graphics, Max Planck Institut (MPI) Informatik, Saarbruecken, Germany
- M.Sc. in Computer Science, Saarland University, Saarbruecken, Germany
- B.Sc. in Computer Science, Mohammad Ali Jinnah University, Karachi, Pakistan
Digital processing and management tools for 2D and 3D shape repositories; geometric modeling; data structures; advanced programming; algorithm analysis; digital computer logic; computer architecture; linear algebra; discrete mathematics.
Previous Courses Taught
- Human Computer Interaction
- Introduction to Computer Science
- Programming with CUDA and Parallel Algorithms
Awards and Honors
- AIM@SHAPE Best Paper Award, 2006
- 3rd Place, IMPRS Ph.D. Poster Competition, 2005
- IMPRS Fellowship for studies at Saarland University, 2002-04
- W. Saleem, A. Belyaev, D. Wang, and H.-P. Seidel, On Visual Complexity of 3D Shapes, Computers & Graphics, 35(3), pp. 580-585. June 2011. Proceedings of Shape Modeling International (SMI), 2011
- R.C. Veltkamp, G.J. Giezeman, H. Bast, T. Baumbach, T. Furuya, J. Giesen, A. Godil, Z. Lian, R. Ohbuchi and W. Saleem, SHREC’10 Track: Large Scale Retrieval. Proceedings of the Eurographics/ACM SIGGRAPH Symposium on 3D Object Retrieval (SHREC) 2010, pp. 63-69
- S. Garg, J. Nam, K. Padalkar, K. Mueller, M.-Y. Chan, H. Qu, S. Laue, W. Saleem, and J.Giesen, KAV-DB: Towards a Framework for the Capture and Retrieval of Visualization Knowledge over the Web, Proceedings of the Schloss Dagstuhl Scientific Visualization Workshop, 2009