Dhanani School of Science and Engineering
He pursued his MS studies from Chosun University in South Korea, where he was awarded a full financial support from the Korean Global IT Talent program driven by the Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE), South Korea. During his MS studies in Korea, he worked as a Research Assistant in Computer Systems Lab in the same institution. He worked on several different projects during this period and published journal and proceeding publications. He also invented a novel fault-tolerant FPGA architecture and possess one international and two domestic patents. Furthermore, he also worked for a Korean company, Junsung E&R (Energy & Robots) Inc. and developed two commercial software tools for it.
After obtaining his MS degree, he went to Saudi Arabia for a year and served as a Lecturer in the department of Computer Science at Umm Al Qura University, Makkah. Besides teaching there, he also served as a part-time researcher to develop embedded systems for smart waste bins.
Earlier in 2010, he obtained his BE degree from NED University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan. During undergrad studies, he served as an Intern and as a Consultant in EONSIL Inc. for two years, where he worked on the development of Nand Flash based solid state drives and USB 3.0 MAC layer controller.
Later after graduation, he joined Spot Pvt. Ltd. as a Digital Design Engineer and worked on embedded image acquisition, software development for car tracking, remote fuel monitoring, two-way TCP-IP communication etc. Before leaving for South Korea to pursue MS in the year 2010, he served EONSIL Inc. again for three months to develop APIs for testing SSD NAND flash controller.
Apart from these professional academic and industrial research experiences, Dr. Baig has also been actively involved in voluntary professional activities. He reviews research articles in reputed journals and conferences which include Oxford Journal of Bioinformatics, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Sciences, Elsevier Journal of Microelectronics Reliability, Springer LNCS, ASP DAC, etc.
Dr. Baig has been a first author in all of his published articles which signifies his major contribution in the research work he has conducted throughout his academic career. For more details about his research, kindly visit http://www.hasanbaig.com/academic-research
- Ph.D. in Computer Science (Embedded Systems), Technical University of Denmark, Denmark, 2017.
- MS in Computer Engineering (Embedded Systems), Chosun University, South Korea, 2012.
- BE in Electronic Engineering (Embedded Systems), NED University of Engineering and Technology, Pakistan, 2010.
Publications – Books
Methods and Tools for the analysis, verification and synthesis of Genetic Logic Circuits, (under writing).
Publications – Journals
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “Simulation Approach for Timing Analysis of Genetic Logic Circuits”, ACS Synthetic Biology, January 19, 2017. [Link] [Video Demo]
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “D-VASim – An Interactive Virtual Laboratory Environment for the Simulation and Analysis of Genetic Circuits”, Bioinformatics, September 11, 2016. [Link] [Video Demo]
- Hasan Baig, Jeong-A Lee and Zahid Ali Siddiqui, “A Low-overhead Multiple-SEU Mitigation Approach for SRAM-based FPGAs with Increased Reliability”, IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Sciences, Vol. 61, Issue 3, pp 1389-1399, May 14 2014. [Link] [Video Demo]
- Hasan Baig, Muhammad Asrar Alam and Jeong-A Lee, “Integrated LTSSM (Link Training & Status State Machine) and MAC Layer of USB 3.0 Device for Reliable SuperSpeed Data Transactions”, Research Notes in Information Sciences (RNIS), Vol. 9, pp. 37-47, ISSN 2093-1956, May 2012. [Link]
- Hasan Baig and Jeong-A Lee, “Architectural Development and Functional Verification of SuperSpeed USB 3.0 PHY Layer Controller”, Journal of Computing, Vol. 3, Issue 5, pp. 1-12, ISSN 2151-9617, NY, USA, May 2011. [Link]
Publications – Case Study
This is the case study of Dr. Baig’s project which is published by National Instruments (www.ni.com).
Publications – Papers
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “Taming Living Logic using Formal Methods”, Models, Algorithms, Logics and Tools, LNCS, vol. 10460, pp. 503-515, Springer, Cham, 2017. [Link]
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “A Top-down Approach to Genetic Circuit Synthesis and Optimized Technology Mapping”, 9th International Workshop on Bio Design Automation (IWBDA), 28-29, 2017. [Link]
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “Logic Analysis and Verification of n-input Genetic Logic Circuits”, Design Automation and Test in Europe (DATE), pp. 654-657, 2017. [Link] [Video Demo]
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “Logic and Timing Analysis of Genetic Logic Circuits using D-VASim”, 8th International Workshop on Bio Design Automation (IWBDA) 2016, pp. 77-78, 2016. [Link]
- Hasan Baig and Jan Madsen, “D-VASim: Dynamic Virtual Analyzer and Simulator for Genetic Circuits”, 7th International Workshop on Bio-Design Automation (IWBDA), 48-49, 2015. [Link]
- Hasan Baig and Jeong-A Lee, “An Island-style-routing Compatible Fault-Tolerant FPGA Architecture with Self-Repairing Capabilities”, Field Programmable Technology (FPT) 2012, pp 301-304, 2012. [Link]
- Hasan Baig, Jeong-A Lee and Jieun Lee, “Performance Evaluation of CPU-GPU and CPU-only Algorithms for Detecting Defective Tablets through Morphological Imaging Techniques”, CISTI 12, pp. 1-6, 2012. [Link]
- Hasan Baig, Jeong-Gun Lee and Jeong-A Lee, “A Novel Automated Experimental Approach for the Measurement of On-Chip Speed Variations through Dynamic Partial Reconfiguration”, Advances in Automation and Robotics, LNEE 123, Vol. 2, pp. 281-290, Springer-Verlag Berlin Heidelberg, 2011. [Link]
- Hasan Baig and Jeong-A Lee, “Implementation and Functional Verification of Soft IP Core of USB 3.0 Device MAC Layer”, Proceedings of the International Conference on Embedded Systems and Applications (ESA’11), pp. 158-164, ISBN: 1-60132-178-3, Las Vegas, Nevada, USA, July 18-21, 2011. [Link]
- Hasan Baig, M. Mansoor Ikram, Kamran Shamim, Ahmed Taha Akbar and Ahmed Hassan, “Implementation of SCADA System for Unsought Tablets Detection through Morphological Image Processing”, 12th IEEE International Multi Topic Conference (IEEE INMIC 2008), 493-500, 2008. [Link]
- Hasan Baig, M. Owais, M. Saleheen Aftab, Kamran Shamim & Hamza Azeem, “GSM Based Security System Using LabVIEW”, Proceedings First International Conference on Computer, Control and Communication, PNEC Karachi, November 12-13, 2007. [Link]
Awards and Honors
- Awarded funded doctoral research fellowship at Technical University of Denmark, ’14 – Aug.’17
- Offered NUST Faculty Development Program Scholarship, Pakistan, July 2014
- Offered fully funded PhD Research Fellowship at University of Oslo, Norway, July 2014
- Awarded Korean Global IT scholarship for MS studies and research, South Korea, ’10 – Aug.’12
- Awarded traveling grants, by Microsoft Research, to participate in ACM Student Research Competition (SRC), USA, June 3-7, 2012
- Awarded traveling and living grants, by bio-design automation (BDA) consortium, to give an oral talk in IWBDA 2017, USA, 8-11, 2017
- Awarded traveling and living grants, by bio-design automation (BDA) consortium, to present a poster in IWBDA 2016, UK, 16-18, 2016
- Awarded traveling and living grants, by bio-design automation (BDA) consortium, to give an oral talk in IWBDA 2015, USA, 19-21, 2015
- Awarded traveling and living grants, by Chosun University, to give a project demonstration and poster presentation in ICFPT 2012, South Korea, 10-12, 2012
- Awarded traveling and living grants, by Chosun University, to give an oral talk in ICAR 2011, UAE, 1-2, 2011
- Given a ‘letter of gratitude’, by IEEE students’ branch at NEDUET, for conducting a voluntary workshop on LabVIEW, Pakistan, 07, 2009
Media – News, Videos, Interviews
Project demonstration videos
- D-VASim – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZRI0ojqoJo
- Fault Tolerant FPGA Architecture – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2dD-s83iLM
- Self-Repairing Fault-Tolerant FPGA Computation Unit and Architecture
Inventor: Hasan Baig and Jeong-A Lee.
US Patent 9720766.
Issued on August 01, 2017.
- Bio-inspired Fault-Tolerant FPGA Computation Cell
Inventor: Hasan Baig and Jeong-A Lee.
Korea Registration Number: 101279999.
Issued on June 24, 2013.
- Self-Repairing Bio-inspired Fault-tolerant FPGA
Inventor: Hasan Baig and Jeong-A Lee
Korea Registration Number: 101400809.
Issued on May 22, 2014.
PhD (Computer Science – worked on Genetic Design Automation)
Title: Methods and Tools for the Analysis, Verification and Synthesis of Genetic Logic Circuits.
MS (Computer Engineering – worked on embedded systems)
Title: A Self-Repairing Bio-Inspired Fault-Tolerant FPGA Architecture.
BE (Electronic Engineering – worked on embedded systems)
Title: Development and Verification of Soft IP Core of USB 3.0 in Verilog HDL.
Note: This was a group project of four students (including me) in which my contributions are the development of PHY/MAC layer controller and Master controller of USB 3.0 device.