What is the NSO?
The New Student Orientation program is designed to facilitate new students and their respective families in understanding the academic programs, culture, norms, policies, and expectations of Habib University. This weeklong event also provides an opportunity for new students and their families to ask questions, meet with the HU community, and familiarize themselves with Habib University.
Objectives of the NSO
- Building a sense of community among the incoming class and connect them to faculty, staff, and other students
- Creating an atmosphere that minimizes anxiety, promotes positive attitudes, and stimulates an excitement for learning
- Introducing new students to student support services which will help them in achieving their educational and personal goals (ex. library, information technology, academic and student life services).
- Providing a framework for four years of success by communicating expectations, norms, key policies, processes and standards.
- Familiarizing students with the campus environment and physical facilities
- Facilitating initial academic advisement, course selection, and registration process
- Providing the families of new student’s comprehensive information about the academic and student service resources and programs
- Providing employment, leadership, and learning opportunities to current students as leaders, through selection, training, and supervision.
The Orientation Leaders (OLs) are students selected to assist the Office of Academic Performance and Student Life with the implementation of the New Student Orientation by playing a leadership role for a variety of activities in August 2020. They may be the first students with whom new students will interact and are expected to serve as HU representatives.
OLs Roles and Responsibilities
Key roles and responsibilities for the OLs include, but are not limited to the following:
- Attend and participate in all orientation and training sessions organized for the OLs in July and August 2020
- Assist the Office of Academic Performance and Office of Student Life in planning and conducting the New Student Orientation program in August.
- plan and conduct sessions and activities as per the NSO plan
- develop orientation packs
- communicate with new students and their parents through phone calls, emails and post
- arrange rooms and other facilities for orientation sessions
- develop posters, videos, Facebook posts and blogs for the NSO
- Serve as HU representatives, and as a general information and referral source for new students and families regarding HU.
- Supervise and lead a group of new students during their transition into the university.
- Work as a collegial team member and leader in small and large group situations.
- Maintain a friendly, caring and positive attitude that creates an inclusive environment throughout the planning and execution of the NSO.
- Assist new students with academic advising and course registration.
- Enrolment and Academic Eligibility
- Is a full time regular student
- Is enrolled in Spring 2020 and plans to enroll in Fall 2020
- Currently enrolled in any semester from semester 2 to semester 7.
- Must have a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or better. First year students can apply if they have cleared all of their Semester 1 courses.
- Must be in good academics, As per university academics policy.
- Personal Qualities
- Must be in good conduct standing as per the University policy
- Possesses good communication and presentation skills Must have a passion for sharing experiences and an eagerness to learn new things
- Is interested in nurturing leadership qualities
- Possesses strong work ethic
- Possesses a positive attitude, consistent energy, and is flexible
- Time Commitment
- Is available to attend training and planning sessions for orientation from July 20, 2020 onwards from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Is willing to work from 9:00 to 6:00, and if needed for extended hours too from July 27, 2020 till the end of orientation.
|OL Application opens||February 25, 2020|
|Application deadline||March 10, 2020|
|OLs interviews/Assessment Session (Shortlisted only)||Starting from March 16, 2020|
|Final list of selected OLs||May 9, 2020|
|Major training session for OLs||July 20 to July 27, 2020|
|Working on actual orientation programs and activities||July 27 to August 13, 2020|
|Course enrolment sessions for new students||29-30 July and 10-11 August|
|New Student Orientation 2020||August 13 to August 22, 2020|
|Welcoming and guiding new students first day of classes Fall 2020||August 24, 2020|
Benefits of working as OLs
Working as OLs will help students in developing multiple skills; it will also prove to be valuable work experience to put on a resume and/or graduate school applications. Below are some of the skills students may gain during their time as an OL:
- Leadership experience
- Planning and management skills
- Learn to manage group settings and activities
- Improve public speaking and presentation skills
- Gain exceptional customer service experience
- Learn crisis and conflict management skills
- Improve their ability to multitask
- Develop good time management skills
- Work with a variety of departments across campus
Rewards and Compensation
- All OLs will get a certificate for their services
- OLs will receive an honorarium of Rs. 20,000/= for their participation in the entire NSO training, planning, and execution.
- Students from outside Karachi will be provided free accommodation from the time of training until the end of orientation.
- Transport will be arranged for those who will register for it
How to Apply
- Click here for OL application
- Fill in and submit the application by March 10th, 2020